DIY Laundry Detergent
I love to do crafts! One day, I took my husband son to get a family photo done at a farm. The photographer mentioned something about just finishing a batch of laundry detergent which perked my attention right away. Once our photo shoot was done I said ok I must clarify this…did you say you made laundry detergent and if so I must know how!
So here is the recipe ladies! This is so awesome too because it cost less than ten bucks for the ingredients which will last you for about a year or more!
What You Need:
- 100% essential oil of your choice such as lemon, clean cotton, cucumber, rose, apple or whatever. (the husband will not appreciate smelling like roses however lol)
- One bar of Fels-Naptha soap
- Super washing soda
- 2 gallon bucket
- Cheese grater
- Mason jars to store your detergent
- Small dollar store pitcher to transfer to jars
- In a large pot heat 6-cups water and 1/3 grated bar of the Fels-Naptha.
- Keep on low heat until it is a honey color and the soap is melted through.
- Remove from heat
- In the large 2 gallon bucket put 1 quart HOT water, add honey mixture, mix well then add 1/2 C. Borax slowly, and add 1/2 C. Super washing soda and mix well. Add 20-50 drops of your essential oil and mix well.
- LET SIT 24 HOURS in this large tub.
- You can mix well the next day transfer to whatever you are keeping it in.
- Shake before use and use 1/2 cup per load.
I like mine to have a light smell to it. If yours is not strong enough just add more essential oil. This mixture will get clumpy and look like a science project gone wrong. This means you did it right! I have given this to new neighbors and they have said to me, “You have to teach me how to do this!” it comes out to less than ten cents a load. Let me repeat: less than ten cents a load!
Let me know how it works and I want some honest feedback!
Live, Love & Learn,